Woo hoo!!!!!! G and I were 30 for 30 this month! This year, maybe because I tried to focus my reading on memoirs and classics, was more difficult than last year, when I chose what to read on a whim. G was so happy when he finished his last book this month, wanna see?
He finished strong with I Love Mom with the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. He read way too easy books BUT he is now in the habit of reading a book a day so I’m hoping we can build on that. He asked when he could do his next challenge so I’m going to have to come up with something for him soon.
I read 18 memoirs, 8 classics, 3 biographies, and 2 non-fiction books. 15 were by men, 12 women, 2 editors, and 1 by a mother and son combo.
Here are the books I read this month in the order that I liked them best, linked to my post about the book.
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker – classic
- The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest Gaines – classic
- Love That Boy: What Two President, Eight Road Trips, and My Son Taught Me About a Parent’s Expectations by Ron Fournier
- A life in Parts by Bryan Cranston audio – memoir
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah audio – memoir
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut – classic
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi – audio – memoir
- Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson – classic
- Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Lawson – biography
- Let’s Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell – audio – memoir
- 1984 by George Orwell – audio – classic
- How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else by Michael Gates Gill – memoir
- The Writing Life by Annie Dillard – memoir
- Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Meternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman – memoir
- What Would Martin Say? by Clarence B Jones – biography-ish
- Something New:Twales from a Makeshift Bride by Lucy Knisley – graphic memoir
- Yes Please by Amy Pohler – audio – memoir
- Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome – classic
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl – audio – classic
- The War of the Worlds by HG Wells – classic
- A Year By the Sea by Joan Anderson – memoir
- Hourglass: Time, Memoir, Marriage by Dani Shapiro – memoir
- An Unexpected Life: A Mother and Son’s Story of Love, Determination, Autism, and Art by Debra and Seth Chwast – memoir
- Dryland: One Woman’s Swim to Sobriety by Nancy Stearns Bercaw – memoir
- Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen – memoir
- Why We March and Why I March – photos from the Women’s March
- The Reluctant Mystic: Autobiography of am Awakening by Nancy Torgrove Clasby – memoir
- Herman Hesse: A Pictorial Biography by Voler Michels – biography
- The Everything Candida Diet Book by Jeffrey McCombs – nonfiction. I just finished this one today because we will be starting this diet for Gage next week. This book is an excellent resource and surprisingly progressive in it’s knowledge. Highly recommended if you suspect you have a candida problem. You can treat at home without a doctor using diet and supplements.
- Candida Albicans: Could Yeast Be Your Problem by Leon Chaitow – nonfiction
Next September I’m going to see if I can get any of you to join me!!!